Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is a public adjuster?

A. We are experts in the preparation, filing and adjusting of insurance claims. We work for you, not the insurance company, to get you the settlement to which you are entitled.

Q. What is the difference between a public adjuster and the insurance company adjuster?

A. As public adjusters, we work exclusively for you to protect your interests. The insurance company adjuster works for the insurance company and protects its interests.

Q. What services does IAB provide for me?


  • Prepare and assemble detailed estimates and appraisals of your damages
  • Provide guidance and assistance during the claim process
  • Deal directly with your insurance company
  • Advise and assist with policy interpretation
  • File your claim and negotiate the maximum recovery for your losses.

Q. Why do I need a public adjuster to handle my claim?

A. To protect your interests! You need Insurance Adjustment Bureau, Inc. (IAB), because it places you on an equal footing with the insurance company during the claim process. The insurance company employs expert adjusters and so should you.

Q. Should my agent also act as my adjuster?

A. No. The insurance agent serves both you and your insurance company in connection with purchasing your insurance. Insurance agents do not have the knowledge, experience, staff or the independence needed to effectively represent you in your insurance claim. IAB has all of that and more.

Q. What types of losses and damage does a public adjuster handle?

Q. When should I seek the services of a public adjuster?

A. Immediately after a loss has occurred to your property. The decisions made in the hours following a loss are crucial. It is important that we get involved right away to make sure nothing is done to jeopardize your claim. IAB should be at your side when you meet with your insurance company to protect your interests.

Q. Can a board-up or restoration contractor act as an adjuster on my behalf?

A. No. Contractors are not licensed adjusters. They do not have the specialized training or thorough knowledge of insurance policies that IAB has. It takes a wide range of skills beyond the scope of a contractor to obtain the best settlement for your damages.

Q. My insurance company is requesting an inventory, invoices and documentation to support my claim. Aren’t they supposed to take care of this for me?

A. Although your insurance company is obligated to provide assistance, it is your responsibility and duty according to your insurance policy to provide all supporting documentation to prove your claim. The experts at IAB will assist you in assembling your inventory and documentation to help you settle your claim as efficiently and as promptly as possible.

Q. I have a replacement cost policy. Do I still need a public adjuster?

A. Yes. A common misconception is that replacement cost policies automatically replace damaged property for the full amount. Be careful! Nothing is automatic in any insurance claim. You still need IAB to prove the value of your claim and guide you through the process.

If you have any other questions, please call us
for a free, no-obligation consultation.